Friday, February 3, 2012

New race season is just around the corner


It’s been a while since I’ve posted on my blog, but the racing season is near, so it’s time to get it started again.

For 2011 I had a total of 627 hours of total training time (outside riding and trainer time combined). I don’t know my actual outside mileage totals but if you take the total ride time it would equate to a little over 12,500 miles for the year.

With the new season nearing, I had a decision to make when it came to my team. I had been considering changing teams for the past year or so, but hadn’t done so because of our Team Time Trial team and a few other reasons … But overall, I just felt my philosophy when it came to racing was different than some others on the team. It also seemed that there was a movement toward Cyclocross being a priority for the team and road racing less so. Since I don’t race Cross…I felt like I was growing farther and farther apart from them.

So with all that said, I decided it was finally time to move from Portland Velo after 4 great years and lots of friendships … and will be racing for Team Oregon this season.  I have several reason for moving to Team Oregon, the biggest of which is logistics since they start their group rides about 6 miles from my home and I can ride to/from the rides for a few extra miles. Other than that, they are a road oriented team (who also participate in cross, MTB and track) with an elite CAT 1/2 squad, of which I don’t plan on moving beyond a CAT 3, but will enjoy training with some of them.

My training is fairly on track right now compared to seasons past with my top end/sprinting power better than normal. I actually set a new 5 second power number (1418 watts) in December during a sprint that I didn’t put everything into and didn’t even realize it was a new PR until nearly a month later. That was also the first time I had held over 900 watts for 30 seconds in a while…So, the light/high rep lifting I’ve been doing during the fall/winter seems to have helped my sprinting.

As far as my weight goes, I’m about where I normally am this time of the year … maybe a few pounds below normal. I started the year at 215 pounds (normally 225-230 pounds) on January 1st of the year and have lost 7 pounds during January. This is a little slower weight loss than normal, but has me on track to be 190 pounds by the end of March/beginning of April when I start to hit the road races. I’ve really focused the last two weeks on weight loss which is where most of the 7 pounds happened and plan to keep this up for the next two months, which might get me to 190 mid-March, which would be great.

As for my race season…I’m looking at most of the same races as I did last year by competing in:

·         Jack Frost TT (late February)
·         Piece of Cake (early April – Maybe)
·         Kings Valley (mid April)
·         PIR TT (two races this season)
·         Eugene Roubaix (late April)
·         State Championship road race (Mid May)
·         ITT Championships (Late June)
·         TTT Championships (early June – if my new team has one)
·         Eugene Celebration stage race (depending on whether I have time and what type of shape I’m in)

Overall…I’m looking forward to another season, though with a new team. I look forward to seeing many of my old teammates at the races and hope they take it easy on me J

No comments:

Post a Comment